Monday 15 October 2007

Blog 11 Monday 15th October Sydney continues

Laundry first and then culture afterwards. We walked to the famous Rocks area which is the historic part of Sydney. Yes, interesting, quaint and the history is well-explained but after UK towns and villages it doesn't really register strongly. What did register was the terrific BBQd steak at lunch in the warmth of real sun under bougainvilleas (I think) and glorious jasmine in the Sydney equivalent of the Turf Tavern in Oxford. (OK let's admit it my culture appreciation fades drastically in relation to any good eating and drinking experiences anywhere in the world.)
The other wonderful moment was looking harbourwards and having the view of the Opera House dwarfed by a sizzling white cruise ship in port towering over the tiny cottages beside us and set off by skyscrapers behind it. Totally weird!

And then the real Sydney got me in the guizzard - coming back to watch a film (Death at a Funeral - brilliantly silly and funny - real laughter, not just the odd chortle) at the Opera Quay Dendy Cinema - I was totally bowled over by the spectacular romance of Sydney Harbour at night. There is simply nowhere else that has the grace, excitement and beauty that I can think of, given the addition of warm balmy weather. I am, however, up for any disagreement on this point, just as long as I can go and check it out for myself.

No comments: